Philosophy Learning and Teaching Organization (PLATO)
The Philosophy Learning and Teaching Organization is a national organization that advocates and supports introducing philosophy to pre-college students. PLATO provides education for teachers about ways to introduce philosophy in pre-college classrooms, supports faculty and graduate students working in the field of pre-college philosophy, and advocates in both the philosophical and educational communities for more pre-college philosophy instruction. More information is available at the organization's website - http://plato-philosophy.org.
Annual memberships for individuals include username / password access to the publications listed below.
Any pre-college school may become an institutional member of PLATO.
Online access for institutional memberships is provided by IP authentication.
Benefits of PLATO membership
- Becoming part of the national pre-college philosophical community.
- Sharing lesson plans and other teaching materials with colleagues
(through the PLATO website and listserv, newsletters, and PLATO-sponsored conferences).
- Discounts at all institutes, conferences and other trainings in pre-college philosophy offered by PLATO, as well as discounts at conferences offered by the American Association of Philosophy Teachers.
- 20% discount on Philosophy and Education: Introducing Philosophy to Young People, a new anthology that emerged from the first PLATO conference in 2011.
- 30% discount on membership in the P4C Co-operative
- A membership list of teachers, philosophers and others teaching philosophy in pre-college classrooms.
- Over 4,500 articles, reviews, and other items from these publications:
- Demonstrating Philosophy (anthology), 1988
- Questions: Philosophy for Young People, Volume 1 (2001) to present
- Teaching Ethics, Volume 1 (2001) to present
- Teaching New Histories of Philosophy (anthology), 2004
- Teaching Philosophy, Volume 1 (1975) to present
- Teaching Philosophy (anthology), 2009
- Teaching Philosophy Today, 2nd edition (anthology), 2012
- The Journal of Pre-College Philosophy, Volumes 1-2 (1975-1977)
- The Journal of Critical Analysis, Volumes 1-9 (1969-1992)
- Thinking: The Journal of Philosophy for Children, Volumes 1-20 (1979-2014)
PLATO memberships are for the academic year beginning July 1 - June 30
|High School Student|
|Partner Organization or Pre-College School|
--paid staff members of Partner Organizations receive all PLATO membership benefits
You may renew your membership, check its status, or update your contact information online.
For more information contact us by phone 800-444-2419 or 434-220-3300, by fax 434-220-3301; or by e-mail order [@] pdcnet.org